California has some of the most extensive and harshest regulations for driving under the influence of substance or alcohol. Irrespective of the fact that you have been convicted under the DUI law for the first or the second time, it’s essential to protect your rights with the help of a professional criminal defense lawyer who is well-versed with the DUI laws applicable in California.
What should you do when you’re arrested for a DUI?
1. The first thing you are obligated to do here on an urgent basis is to request a hearing session with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), California, within 10 days of your arrest. Failure to do so will result in your driving license being suspended automatically or revoked after 30 days of your arrest.
2. There are two different types of cases regarding your DUI, namely the DMV case and criminal case. You should look to hire an experienced DUI attorney if you wish to close the case in your favor.
What are the Criminal Proceedings for DUI cases?
For most people, their first DUI charge is their first interaction with the criminal justice system. There are different penalty slabs for three different time offenders. Even the first offender is penalized with heavy penalties like imprisonment up to 1 year, fine up to $1,000, and a 6-month license suspension. Some other potential penalty consequences include:
- Installation of ignition lock in your vehicle
- Mandatory drug or alcohol counseling
- Mandatory community or social service
- Vehicle captivity
The intensity of the punishment, and the duration of imprisonment increases with every additional offense.
What are the factors that affect DUI Charges?
There are various factors that are considered by the prosecutor while issuing charges regarding a DUI arrest:
- The level of drugs or alcohol content in the bloodstream of the convict
- If anyone is injured during the DUI incident
- If the accused refused to comply with the chemical test
- If any property damage was reported during the incident
- The age of the person behind the wheel
- Any past criminal history of the accused
An experienced DUI attorney in Santa Rosa will help the accused in understanding the DUI convictions, and has relevant strategic tools to defend its client, and convince the court of law for minimum punishment and penalties. If you are also convicted of a DUI case, make sure you hire a professional DUI attorney. To book an appointment, call us at (707) 659-0901.