Santa Rosa DUI Defense Attorney
Defending Individuals Throughout Sonoma County
At The Law Office of Joe Bisbiglia, I have aggressively defend individuals who have been arrested or charged with driving under the influence (DUI). I have handled thousands of cases since 2014 and have achieved a 90% success rate. This is the result of my diligent efforts to protect the rights and freedoms of the people who have turned to me.
I am a Santa Rosa DUI defense attorney knows how overwhelming and scary it is to be arrested and charged with DUI. Because of this understanding, I always treat our clients with compassion and respect. If you need an advocate for your DUI case, let me be your first call. I am available 24/7, so do not hesitate to get in touch. My firm offers free consultations that we can schedule at a convenient time for you.
How We Defend Against DUI Charges
No matter the case, our DUI defense attorney leans on his knowledge of what works and what does not in DUI cases.
In the past, our attorney has successfully contended that the arresting officer:
- Did not have reasonable cause to pull our client over.
- Failed to administer a chemical or field sobriety test correctly.
- Failed to read our client their rights.
- Violated our client’s rights during or after the arrest.
- Did not calibrate the breathalyzer properly.
- Only made the arrest because our client “looked” drunk.
With my decades of experience, anyone who comes to my firm can feel confident their case is in good hands.
What Is Driving Under the Influence in California?
According to California law, a person is driving “under the influence” if they have a blood-alcohol concentration higher than 0.08%. For commercial drivers, the BAC limit is 0.04%. It is illegal for drivers under the age of 21 to operate a vehicle with any measurable BAC.
Penalties for a DUI Conviction in California
The penalties for a DUI conviction in California vary depending on whether it is a repeated offense.
Penalties for a first-time DUI offense can include:
- Fines of up to $2,600.
- Up to 6 months in jail.
- A 10-month license suspension.
- A court-ordered alcohol treatment program.
- Installing an ignition interlock device (IID).
In general, a second, third, or even fourth DUI charge is going to carry much more severe penalties than a first. Repeat offenses can result in years in jail, thousands of dollars in fines, and years-long license suspensions or revocations. To learn more about how we handle cases where our client has a prior DUI conviction, visit our multiple DUI page.
Wha A DUI Attorney Can Do For You
A DUI (Driving Under the Influence) attorney can provide several valuable services if you are facing DUI charges. Their primary goal is to protect your rights and help you navigate the legal process effectively. Here are some of the things a DUI attorney can do for you:
- Legal Knowledge and Expertise: DUI attorneys have a deep understanding of DUI laws, regulations, and procedures in your jurisdiction. They can assess the strength of the case against you and identify potential legal defenses or issues that may work in your favor.
- Defense Strategy: DUI attorneys will work with you to develop a defense strategy tailored to your specific case. This strategy may include challenging the validity of the traffic stop, the accuracy of field sobriety tests, the reliability of breath or blood tests, or other evidence in your case.
- Protection of Your Rights: An attorney will ensure that your constitutional rights are upheld throughout the legal process. They can help protect you from unlawful searches and seizures, ensure due process is followed, and protect your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
- Negotiation with Prosecutors: DUI attorneys can negotiate with prosecutors on your behalf to potentially reduce the charges or penalties you face. They may be able to secure a plea bargain that minimizes the impact of a DUI conviction.
- Trial Representation: If your case goes to trial, a DUI attorney can represent you in court. They will present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and argue on your behalf to secure the best possible outcome.
- Knowledge of DUI Laws: DUI laws vary from state to state, and they can be complex. A DUI attorney is well-versed in the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction, helping you navigate the legal landscape effectively.
- Evaluation of Evidence: Attorneys can carefully review the evidence against you, including police reports, chemical test results, witness statements, and video recordings, to identify weaknesses or errors that can be challenged in court.
- Minimization of Penalties: A DUI attorney can work to minimize the potential penalties associated with a DUI conviction, such as fines, license suspension, mandatory alcohol education programs, probation, or jail time.
- License Suspension: If your driver's license is at risk of suspension due to a DUI arrest, an attorney can help you navigate the administrative hearing process to challenge the suspension and, in some cases, help you retain your driving privileges.
- Legal Guidance: DUI attorneys can provide you with legal advice throughout the entire process, helping you make informed decisions about your case.
It's important to consult with a DUI attorney as soon as possible after being charged with a DUI, as there may be strict deadlines and processes to follow. Having professional legal representation can greatly impact the outcome of your case and ensure that your rights are protected.
Seek the Help of Our Office
If you are facing a DUI charge, you need a lawyer on your side who genuinely cares about your future and will advocate for you. Should you hire me, you can count om me to work tirelessly on your behalf. For more information about DUI charges in California or retaining our attorney, do not hesitate to contact my firm.
I am innocent—do I still need a criminal defense attorney?Yes! If you have been arrested there is a chance you may be convicted, even if you truly did nothing wrong. Having a Santa Rosa criminal defense attorney from The Law Office of Joe Bisbiglia on your side can aggressively fight to protect you from false charges. An experienced attorney can make all the difference when standing up for you so your choice of representation is a very important one.
What is the difference between probation and parole?Parole takes place after a person has spent time in prison, whereas probation may be used as an actual alternative criminal sentence. Parole is usually used to monitor a person who has been released from jail. Probation is a criminal sentence for those convicted of lesser offenses.
How does the prosecution determine the charges I will face?The prosecution will look to convict you on charges they feel have sufficient evidence for a conviction. A case will typically be dropped if the prosecution feels that there is not enough evidence to reach a conviction. What constitutes enough evidence to the prosecutor is up to their discretion.
What is a grand jury?Grand juries are made up of individuals used to determine if enough evidence exists in order to take a case to trial. A grand jury will use witness testimony, documentation, and other evidence in reaching its determination. The grand jury will decide whether the case will go to trial in the end.
Will I be arrested for refusing to give police a statement?Exercising you right to silence cannot be used against you. You are protected from testifying against yourself by the Fifth Amendment. If a police officer is trying to intimidate you into giving a statement, get in touch with a criminal defense attorney immediately.
He is genuine and passionate about what he does and if you visit his official website you’ll see there’s a reason why he chose the profession he’s in. During my case, he was forthcoming and open about my options and made sure I was aware- Gilbert S.
From the moment I contacted his office, I received timely, courteous and personal replies concerning every aspect of my DUI case. I was made to feel like a unique individual, not a faceless entity or case number.- Joanna M.
I got DUI in Santa Rosa and was recommended to use Joe. He gave a Flat fee of 2000 which was awesome compared to other lawyers who said a variable between 3500-5000.- Rebecca K.
Feeling hopeless and lost, Joe brought comfort for me and my family throughout our process of our business relationship. He kept us informed and was a beyond exemplary. Joe really knows his craft and also has a heart to boot.- Gwenell S.
His professionalism in representing me in my own personal case helped me during a time of turmoil and confusion. He truly cares about what he does and was dedicated to making sure any and all questions I had were answered in a timely manner.- Ishii A.
Joe works miracles literally my fiancé was for sure on his way to prison and he got him out of a prison twice!- Ashley O.
I can’t express how grateful I am for Joe and his knowledge on domestic violence cases and restraining orders. Joe was always free to discuss any matters of the case I needed, and didn’t nickel and dime me through the process.- Ashlee D.
He is a great lawyer. Stayed communicated. He cares his human and not out just for the money.- Sandra